RSS

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr Morris Lessmore

This...is a man after my own heart.


The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr Morris Lessmore is a short film about a young man who discovers the amazing powers of the written word.  And it nabbed an Oscar nom for Best Animated Short.  Yay for book nerds!




I love love love the concept of the flying books.  I'm a voracious reader, and I think it's a wonderful way of depicting the power and magic that books have.  The animation is smooth and beautiful...the artists do a lovely job of giving the books personality and life.  There's a really lovely whimsical style to the animation and storytelling.  I'm so impressed by the creativity in how the filmmakers use the books.  Especially when the ancient book is in need of repair and they create a makeshift operation table, with all the other books looking on in concern as Mr Morris tapes it back together.  I mean...come on, it's brilliant.

I love when black and white characters start showing up at his doorstep and he gives them books of their own, bringing a little color into their lives.  And I defy you to find a more developed, fully realized character in any movie from this year than the Humpty Dumpty book.

PS.  He feeds the books bowls of alphabet cereal.  That is too precious.

Conclusion:  This short film is breathtaking, it accomplishes the goal of getting you invested in the character(s) in a very short amount of time, and has a wonderful message for a world that is seemingly abandoning print work.  I love it.


The film is available on Itunes as well as the tube of you, and I definitely recommend checking it out.  It's only 15 minutes of your time, and I guarantee you will spend it smiling.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Directory